Research ideas, reports about Kentucky

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Renfro Valley















MY EXPERIENCES AT RENFRO VALLEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER
My earliest memories of Renfro Valley were of the radio station WLW in Cincinnatti, Ohio. The DJ always woke me up in the morning with this greeting, "WLW Cincinnatti. Ohio One, get out of there! " Then they would play the old country and Bluegrass favorites,and Old Time Gospel. I remember the first Chuckwagon Gang. Incidentally, I also know the last Chuckwagon Gang. I met them while working at Renfro Valley along with many famous Country, Bluegrass and Gospel singers and musicians. The Chuckwagon Gang gave me a CD of their latest hits. I have an artificial rose left in the room Loretta Lynn slept in. I kept it as a souvenir. I have met Charlie Pride, Randy Travis; I just about fainted when I heard and saw Randy practicing his numbers in the New Barn. No one knew I was there. I enjoyed seeing and hearing George Jones, Billy Ray Cyrus and Tanya Tucker. I particularly enjoyed the performance of Billy Royale. I have been close to the McCameys. The Perrys, Charles Johnson, not to mention the very talented Renfro Valley Singers and Band.Did I mention I was working there at that time? I have met the new owners, very nice people from Ohio, Don and Vera Evans. As was expected, they are making many changes and improvements to Renfro Valley. The one site they have promised not to change is the Old Barn Theater. They feel that it is the first main attraction and has aesthetic value. The Old Barn Theater is the site of the Renfro Valley Barn Dance, The Jamboree, Country Gospel and the Sunday Morning Gathering, as well as the Fiddler's Festival, and many special singers. Eddie Miles, the Elvis impersonator, appeared there numerous times during my employment. It is my own personal feeling that although the New Barn Theater is much larger and somewhat nicer, the Old Barn Theater is much more interesting and has a personality of its own. A step inside it is a step back in time, to a simpler era when one had the time to sit and enjoy the atmosphere and old time flavor of the Old Barn Theater.
By Sharon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home