Research ideas, reports about Kentucky

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Eubank, Kentucky


Diann
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Language Class

History Of Eubank, Kentucky

I live in a tiny town called Eubank, in the state of Kentucky. I haven’t lived here all my life. My family and I moved here when I was about 15 of 16 years old. We moved from Ohio; that is where my dad is from. My mothers’ family lives in Kentucky. I have been a citizen of Eubank about 30 years. It is a quit little town. In our little part of Kentucky there is not much excitement. You can stand at one end of town and throw a rock and you would reach the other end of town. I did explore the Internet and I found that we are on the map. I believe I found some history of people migrating to our little town. Some of these families seem to be landowners. There was a landowner who owned land at the time, and the town was named after him. There are a few points of interest that I didn’t know our little town had. Once upon a time there use to be an old mill in Eubank, of course it is no longer there, however I did find some history on that as well.
The town of Eubank was named after a man named Wesley Eubank, who was a landowner. I tried to find a little about the man, but I didn’t find anything. There was this site that I just stumbled on about a John Eubank. There might be a possibility that Wesley Eubank could be related. The Eubank name seen to have started with John Eubank, Sr. and Mary Bullard in King and Queen and Caroline counties in 18th century Virginia (5). They were landowners also. Wesley Eubank could possibly be a descendent of his family.
Population in our town isn’t huge by any means. In the year of 2000 the population of our little town was only 358 (4). “ The estimated population, in 2003, was 364 (3).” The city I know as Eubank hasn’t grown much in three years. I told you we were a small community. If you drive through our town and blink your eyes you might miss it (2).
I discovered that we have a historical site in Eubank. I found out that Isaac Elmer Payne built a mill in 1903. It was apparently three stories high. His main product was rolled oats. The flour sacks in which he used were labeled “Eubank Roller Mills.” The mill was destroyed by fire in 1989. I also discovered he had built a home in 1904. His home is on the National Register as well as his mill (1). (Below is a listing on the register). Payne had laid pipe from his well into a trough in the basement in which the cool underground water preserved meats and milk products in the summer. These landowners knew how to make do with what they had. The house is still there, of course the house has been renovated and it is a beautiful home.
We now have a plaza which is located on US 27 just south of Oran's Truck Stop. In the plaza there is a place to rent storage buildings and there is a pizza place called Eubank Pizza, (which my ex-brother-in-law is running now). There is also a video store in which you can rent videos. We also have a Family Dollar located in our plaza as well
In the heart of town we have Eubank post office, Belcher’s grocery , and Ed Buis’ furniture store, and we did have Sandiage’s grocery; however that store caught fire not long ago and was destroyed. When I first moved here, I attended Eubank High School. When I lived in Ohio the schools were modern and had electric typewriters and all the updated equipment. When I started Eubank High I thought I was back in the cave man era. The typewriters in this school were manual. I had to learn how to type all over again when I left Eubank High in 1977. The doors were shut not long after I left. The school is still there however the windows are all broken and the building is falling down and decaying. I do remember having a few good moments at Eubank High.
Eubank is a peaceful little town where everybody knows everybody and the neighbors do help when there is a need. It is a nice little town to live in.
1http://nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/KY/Pulaski/state.html

2http://www.earthaentrepreneur.com/default.asp
map of eubank Kentucky
3http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=3946
4http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/popInfo.php?locIndex=3946
Population
5http://www.ancestraljourneys.com/eubank_newman_18th.htm
I also found this little tidbit of information on migration of people coming to Eubank

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

from Wikipedia
Eubank is a 6th-class city in Lincoln and Pulaski counties in the U.S. state of Kentucky. The population was 319 at the 2010 census.

The Pulaski County portion of Eubank is part of the Somerset Micropolitan Statistical Area, while the Lincoln County portion is part of the Danville Micropolitan Statistical Area. Eubank is the current home of former Detroit Tigers outfielder Josh Anderson and Miss America 1944 Venus Ramey.

4:52 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

John Wesley Eubank appears on the 1850 Pulaski County, KY census - occupation farmer.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11050-61132-27?cc=1401638

4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home