Research ideas, reports about Kentucky

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Log Cabins



It's hard to imagine, but my grandma raised twelve children in a cabin not much bigger than this one. This kinda gives an idea about the little home (cute aint it?). Just imagine a kitchen and a dining room. The dining room with a couple beds in it. They also had a couple beds in the kitchen. My mom told me she could remember a time when they even had a dirt floor. When I asked her, "how did they place everyone in the little house?", she said that about the "only time everyone was all together in the house was at suppertime and then they went to bed." They would get up have breakfast, go to work in the fields or on the farm. My grandpa always had a farm. There were six girls and six boys all together but at this particuliar time there was only five girls and two boys. One of the girls would stay home and take care of the house and the smaller children, while the others would go to work. When I asked her about closet space she laughed at me and said, "We had only three dresses a piece, one for church, one for doing their work, and the other for school. They hung those up on hangers in the corner on a rod and the boys clothes were put in a homemade dresser. I guess that was why they have always been such a close family. By Tressa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home